There are fewer things that make me feel more put together than when I have a good tan on my skin. It makes me feel healthier, like I have more life in my face, and just overall more confident. But, we all know by now, that I am not a big sun worshipper anymore. So this presents a bit of a problem. Yes, there are self tanners, many of which I have tried. And they are okay, but honestly, I can’t ever get the color even or lasting, so I’ve never been able find a solution that I love. However, I have found the answer to my sunless tanning dreams: local tanning salon, KC Tan.
KC Tan is a luxury tanning salon located in Leawood, Kansas. The space is beautiful, and clean, and so inviting. Their goal is for their clients to be able to enjoy the feel of a high class tanning salon at an affordable price, and they take pride in providing the highest level of customer service. I can tell you firsthand, that they achieve these goals every single time.
I’ve been going to tanning salons since I was 16 years old (mistakes were made…), and this is the first salon where I feel like my health and happiness are the only priorities for this team, versus pushing products. Every customer is treated with a consultative approach, where they assess your tanning goals and preferences. From there, they make recommendations on products and services, and they encourage you to try before you buy. They truly want for you to be happy with your experience from start to finish, and there is no pressure to make a commitment. (Smart since you are literally their walking advertisement.)
The first time I met with the team at KC Tan, I gave them my tanning background, which clued them into my history with sun abuse and melanoma, and my desire to only use sunless options. They affirmed my thoughts and feelings and took the time to tell me about all of their sunless services, the differences between each, and then encouraged me to try each, as each person has their own preferences.
The first sunless service that I tried was VersaSpa Pro, and I used this for several months. VersaSpa believes rejuvenated skin produces the best looking tan, which is why their tag line is “Beyond Tan.” It uses brown and green marine algae to detoxify, firm, and hydrate. This is what rejuvenates your body’s skin cells. The booth has three nozzles that use high volume and low pressure for even coverage and an airbrushed result. There are five different color options: light, lighter medium, darker medium, dark, and double dark. (I typically go with Medium to keep a nice base, but I have also done dark prior to a vacation or special event.) Versa also provides extras like a Prep Spray (sprayed on before your bronzing spray to balance your pH for a deeper, darker, more even tan; think “makeup primer”), Moisturizing Spray (sprayed after your bronzing spray to give immediate hydration to your skin during your development time), extra leg pass, etc., so you can customize the spray the way you want it.
Recently, at the encouragement of the KC Tan team, I branched out and tried their second sunless option: Mystic Tan Kyss. (Remember, this team wants you to know all of the options available to you and encourage you to try and compare.) I am so glad that they did, because I am loving this additional option!
You’re probably familiar with this option, because Mystic Tan has been around for over 20 years. It is made to be completely customized, which I love. Mystic solution focuses on their “Tri- Hydration Blend,” which is hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and sodium PCA that nourishes and hydrates skin. There are three different color intensity options: light, medium, and dark. (I go with Medium, and it looks so natural.) Something that I really like is that Mystic offers “myxers” that you can add into your individual light, medium, or dark cartridge. First is the Accelerator. This can be added to your cartridge if you want to speed up development time. Usually it takes 6-8 hours for color to develop, but if you add the accelerator, it speeds it up to about 4 hours. (One thing that I like about Mystic is that I see color almost immediately, especially with the added accelerator.) Next are Toners/Color Correctors. These are how the team customizes the color to look great on every skin type. They will use a color card with four color options to color match you to ensure you get the best color for your skin type. (I personally use the color “Sun Kyssed,” but every person is unique.) And finally, the Scents. (My fave. Also my husband’s fave.) These are great for people who hate the smell of a spray tan. They offer six scents to choose from, and I encourage you to try them all. (My personal favorite is Island Vibes, and this happens to be the most popular choice of KC Tan customers, because it smells like a beach vacation.)
I have been alternating between the two options and love them both. I do prefer VersaSpa for the Winter months, because of the added moisturizing spray. It leaves my skin feeling more hydrated and it looks better when your skin is a little dryer.
Another thing that I really appreciate about the team at KC Tan is that they also take the time to educate you on how to make your tan last and look its best. I find this to be incredibly unique, as most tanning salons want you to visit as often as possible, so tan sustainability is not a priority for them. They even have a blog where they write helpful articles about tanning products, services, and industry updates!
So here’s what you need to know before you visit:
- Go showered, shaved, and exfoliated. No lotion, makeup, or other products on your skin. And actually, I don’t shave the day of my spray. It may sound weird, but every razor now comes with a moisture strip to prevent dry skin, and this stays on your skin. It’s essentially the same as a thin layer of lotion! So get your shave in the day before.
- Wear loose fitting clothing. (I typically wear a sundress.) If the sunless formula does get on your clothes, it does come out in the wash.
- It’s a quick process! The actual booth only takes 3-5 minutes, but getting undressed and ready as well as putting clothes back on after will take you a little bit, so plan on a total of 10-15 minutes.
- Everyone is different, but with proper care and hydration (drink your water and use your lotion), my spray tan typically maintains a good color for 10 days, and it fades naturally, versus the patchiness of self tanner.
- KC Tan offers a wide range of tanning packages and solutions to suit every skin type and tone, guaranteeing the ultimate luxury tanning experience every time. But definitely give them a try before you sign up for any memberships. And because the team is so great, when my friends mention my name or “Crowning Glory” they will receive their first spray tan for just $12, with all additives included! (That is for new clients or current clients of KC Tan that have not tried their sunless services.)
- Additional information for COVID-19 protocols:
- Appointments are required prior to your visit. You can book online or over the phone.
- Face masks are required for your visit.
- Because KC Tan may only have one client present in the lobby at any time, clients should wait outside until called in by a tanning consultant. (This is a really quick process.)
- Once inside, visitors should maintain six feet of distance from the consultants or any leaving client.
KC Tan is located at 4800 W 135th St #240, Leawood, KS 66209.
Currently, their hours are Monday through Friday 10 AM to 7 PM and Saturday and Sunday from 11 AM to 6 PM.
I highly encourage you to visit KC Tan and try their sunless options. And tell me all about it when you do!