Happy November! So, I took last week off from the Happiness Report. Actually, I did type out a really long post about how I was feeling. Which was ROUGH.
Here’s the thing, I have anxiety. And sometimes, it can manifest itself in really positive ways. That’s how I’m able to create, and innovate, and go and go and go, for long periods of time without rest. But other times, it’s not great. It makes me sad, and tired, and unmotivated, and insecure. And that was last week. My anxiety was really high and was manifesting itself in some really unhealthy ways.
So yea, I typed that out, and it felt really good to get it out. But the words belong to me now, and I decided to chill out last week and focus on feeling better.
So that’s where I am today. Of course anxiety is an ongoing thing, and it will continue to ebb and flow, but today is a good day, and I’m here to tell ya about it.
- Celebrated a Milestone. Five years ago, I walked into Orangetheory for the very first time, and I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve shared about my OTF journey a few times in the past, but this week I celebrated my five-year anniversary. This is the longest I have ever stuck with a gym, and I’m still just as happy with the workout as I was five years ago. I’ve met some of my best friends at OTF, and it has saved my sanity during COVID. I can’t wait to see how I continue to grow and where this journey leads.
2. Donuts! Did I get your attention there? So is it weird that I don’t like donuts for breakfast? Let me be clear, I LOVE donuts. But give me a 10:00 AM morning snack, or a 2:00 PM dessert, or a late-night treat for my donut fix. And really any donut will do. I love an OG glazed or some donut holes, but I also love all the funky creations that have become so popular. That’s why I love our local Donutology. They have classic flavors, fun inventions, and even a build your own option. They have full sized and minis. And they do a lot of special creations for holidays and special events. They reached out for me to feature their Halloween minis, which included a pack of our own, and we had so much fun taking pics and enjoying our spooky sweet treats.
3. Date Night. I cannot believe we haven’t had any alone time since our vacation in Denver, but yet again, I can totally believe it. My mom came in town this weekend for Halloween, so we snuck out on Friday night for a date night. The Town Company is a brand new restaurant inside the new Hotel Kansas City, and I’ve had my eye on it for weeks. So when date night was on the calendar, it was my first pick. From the second we walked in, everything was so special. The décor, the atmosphere, the staff, the cocktails, the dinner, the dessert…everything, perfect. It would be a fun for girls night too, but it is an absolute must for a date!
4. Becoming a Coffee Drinker. Well maybe not, but I did attend the grand opening for Café Ca Phe, a brand new Vietnamese coffee cart. I originally heard about them on the Open Belly podcast and was intrigued by her descriptions of Vietnamese coffee, compared to traditional coffee. Even as a non-caffeinated person, it sounded yummy. This was confirmed on Saturday morning when we got to sample some. It’s more dessert-like, so this sweets lover was in from first sip. Plus I fully support a minority woman owned and operated business on any given day!
5. Halloween. I’ve always loved Halloween. Probably no one is surprised by this, because I love any excuse to wear a costume, and I love candy, so there we go. I knew this year would be weird, but I was determined for it to still be fun and special. We started the day with Halloween donuts, then we went to the Café Ca Phe event, which had tons of activities for kids and adults, then it was Corinth Square for lunch at BRGR and exploring their Halloweek event, and home for some rest. After naptime, it was playing, pumpkin-shaped pizza, costumes, indoor trick or treating, candy eating, and bedtime. Chad and I enjoyed a couple of post-craziness beers (and some more candy) and an early bedtime.
It feels really good to be starting a new month, feeling a little more relaxed, and looking forward to a lot of happy times ahead.