Well it looks like we’re going to be at home for a while. With the unfortunate continued surges of COVID-19, the safest option in most places is to stay home to stay safe. And if you’re like us, you’re running out of shows to binge on Netflix. And really, although it’s a way to kill some time, it doesn’t necessarily foster connection with your boo thang. Our favorite thing recently is to grab takeout and have a post-bedtime dinner date in the dining room. No babysitter or fancy dress required. However, we’re getting a little stir crazy, so we’ve been getting a little more creative! Today I’m sharing ten ideas for an At Home Date Night that you probably haven’t tried yet. Check it out!
- Virtual Cooking Class. Chad and I recently had the opportunity to attend a virtual cooking class, and it was so much fun! You can read about it here, but don’t wait for a formal opportunity. You can recreate this at home for just the two of you. Get on Pinterest, find a recipe that you both want to try, go to the store to do the shopping together, and get to cooking. You might fail, you might become a chef, either way, you’re in for a laugh and a lot of fun.
- Bar Crawl. How many rooms do you have in your house? Follow up question, how many rooms can be turned into a bar? So if you’ve ever done a bar crawl, you know that the concept is to walk to and visit a series of bars in one afternoon or evening. You can create this same thing at home! Each room, or bar, gets a theme, and you visit each one. One room is a tiki bar with leis, ukelale music, and fruity drinks. One room is a sports bar with a football game replay and beers. The sky is the limit!
- Game Night. Okay, this one might land you in divorce court, but try it out. What are some of your favorite games? Compete for the evening. Or maybe buy a new game and learn and play together. A little competition never hurt anyone. Right?
- Cocktail Making. Is there a cocktail that you’ve always wanted to try, but you don’t want to look like a rookie ordering it at the bar? Now is your chance! Buy the ingredients for those cocktails you’ve been dying to try, and become the bartenders for the night.
- Tasting Party. So many options with this one! Pick a category. Cheese, sour candy, beers, whatever you like. Buy several types of this item and host your own tasting event. Try them all, compare notes, and see where your tastes are alike and different.
- Theme Night. Pick a theme and go big. Maybe it’s New York night, and you order pizza, drink a Manhattan on the patio, make cannoli, and watch When Harry Met Sally. Maybe it’s 50s night, and you put on your poodle skirt, play those records, and have a sock hop in your basement. Let your imagination run wild!
- Just Desserts. Oh yea! Several ways to play this one, but it’s a date of just the sweet stuff. Maybe you buy a ton from the bakery section of the grocery store. Maybe you get take out from a few local spots. Or maybe you get back in the kitchen for a baking marathon. Whatever you choose, it’s sure to be sweet.
- DIY Project. No, this is not remodeling your guest bathroom. I’m talking much smaller scale. Paint some pottery, create a piece of art, make face masks, whatever you choose. Also, several companies are offering DIY kits of their prodicts. We recently picked up a DIY Candle Kit from our favorite local candle maker Untamed Supply. We poured some wine, whipped up a charcuterie board, and made candles. It was so much fun, and we even had enough supplies left over for a family fun day the following afternoon. If you want to try one for yourself, you can use code MOLLY10 for 10% off your order.
- Trip Down Memory Lane. Pull out those pictures, take out the wedding album, watch old home videos. Whatever you choose, have fun reminiscing and reliving the good ol days, while distracting yourself from the current days.
- Virtual Double Date. And if you’ve had enough of one another by this point, make it a double date! Invite your favorite duo, or group of duos, send them a Zoom link, and make it a group date. Catch up, play a game, host a group cooking class, or really any of the ideas already listed. The only thing better than experiencing joy is sharing it with others.
I hope that you found some inspiration in these ideas and that you find some ways to switch up your routine. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, wash your hands, and wear a mask.