Doesn’t it seem like you always have a random box of rice in your pantry? What happened there? You’re at the store like, “Oh yea, probably need a box of rice too.” You know, so it can sit there until it expires…
But I’ve been trying to make an effort to use the food in our pantry before adding to it, so I used that random rice for this super easy Black Bean Rice Bowl that I know you’ll love too!
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp onion powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt, divided
1 package rice of choice
1 1/3 cup vegetable stock
6 sweet mini peppers, cut into rings
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
• In a medium pan, heat one tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
• Add onion powder and 1/8 tsp sea salt and stir.
• Stir in rice to coat the grains with oil and spice mixture.
• Add the vegetable stock, bring to a quick simmer, and turn off heat. Cover and allow to sit for 12 minutes.
• In a small saucepan, heat 2 tsp olive oil.
• Add the peppers and 1/8 tsp salt.
• Cook for 2 minutes or until peppers are soft. Remove from heat.
• In a medium saucepan, warm the black beans over low heat with 1 tbsp of water. Keep warm until rice is finished.
• After 12 minutes, stir the rice.
• Add the lime juice and 1 tsp olive oil to rice and mix thoroughly.
• Stir in black beans.
• Divide the rice and bean mixture between 4 bowls and top with peppers and cilantro.
This could easily be served with a meat or meat substitute.
PS—Toddler approved and seconds requested!