“I couldn’t give up meat, because I would miss tacos too much.” Um ain’t nobody goin without tacos over here! Even though I don’t eat a lot of meat anymore, I still enjoy a lot of meatless meals that pass for the real deal.
One recipe that we’ve developed over the past few years is our beloved Cauliflower Lentil Tacos. They’re packed with all sorts of healthy ingredients, they’re super easy to make, and they are AMAZING!
Here’s the recipe for you to use on your Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday!
• 1 cup lentils
• 1 head cauliflower, cored and broken into florets (or 1 bag of riced cauliflower)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• (You can also skip the previous 4 ingredients and use 1 package of store-bought taco seasoning.)
• 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 package taco shells and/or tortillas
• toppings of choice (lettuce, salsa, cheese, etc.)
1. Rinse the lentils and drain well.
2. Combine the lentils and 4 cups water in a small saucepan.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Drain excess water and set the lentils aside.
5. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until reduced to pieces the size of rice. (If using pre-riced cauliflower, skip this step.)
6. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
7. Add the cauliflower, garlic, 2 teaspoons of the chili powder, 1 teaspoon of the cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of the coriander and cook for 4 minutes.
8. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook until the cauliflower is tender, another 3 minutes.
9. Add the cooked lentils to the cauliflower mixture.
10. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon coriander. Stir in the salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes more to blend the flavors.
Put your filling in your taco shells, load it up with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Also toddler approved!