Can I just say, I don’t have much to report from last week, and I’m totally okay with that. Don’t get me wrong, it was an overall happy past few days; it’s just that not much happened. And for once, in a very long time, I’m actually okay with that. Over the past few weeks, my mind has been racing and has been busier than I’m used to, or than I typically would like. And yes, things still feel very uncertain, but the past few days felt much more laid back with opportunities to relax, focus on my family, and focus on myself.
But like I said, there were several moments of happiness, so here are a few.
- Daily Walks. In case I haven’t mentioned this, I’ve been going on almost daily walks for the past two months. Typically, I take them at the end of my work day, but some days, it’s whenever I can squeeze it in. No matter the time, I look forward to them, and I cherish this midday break. I put in my earbuds, and I put on a podcast, and I walk. Some days, I just walk and listen. Some days, I stop by the neighborhood pool to sit in the sunshine. But no matter what I do, it helps me reset and recharge for whatever the next few hours will bring.
- Running Errands. Y’all, I am not even kidding with this. For me, there is nothing quite like a Saturday afternoon running errands by myself. Jack Attack is napping, my husband is mowing, and I am in my car doing all the things. I’ve got a podcast through the speakers, and I am crossing off every little thing on my to do list. During the Stay At Home order, this was not a thing. And even now, I get in and out of places as quickly as possible. But last Saturday, I had my first true errand-running afternoon, and it was maybe the highlight of my week. (#nerdalert)
- Photo Shoot. What is it about having a professional take your pictures that makes you feel like a freaking supermodel? My friend Cassie is likely the most creative person I know, and she is a Jane of All Trades. During these weird times, she has been offering a ton of specials to keep her busy and to generate more steady income. For the month of July, she is running a photo shoot special for bloggers, influencers, and boutiques, and I jumped right on that! She is so talented, and I could not wait to have her take my pics. So last week, I put on makeup, curled my hair, packed a few outfits, and let her do her magic. We had so much fun, and the sneak peeks that have been rolling in are uh-maz-ing!
- 4th of July. Truthfully, I’ve always had a mixed opinion of this holiday. I don’t plan to go into a political rant, but let me just sum it up by saying that, in the Pledge of Allegiance, we recite”…liberty and justice for ALL,” and I’m not sure we’re living that accordingly. And in light of the most recent events in our country, the holiday hit especially different this year. However, this holiday has a ton of tradition built into it for me. Growing up, my uncle, Tim, loved this holiday and had a huge party at his house every year. Even as a too-cool teenager, I looked forward to it every year. We lost my uncle last year, and the party ended. But the memories do not, and I think of it with much fondness. Additionally, Chad was in the military, and I am so incredibly thankful for him, his service, and his commitment to our country (no matter his politics or opinions). For the past 3 years, we’ve spent the afternoon of the 4th at Stone Pillar Vineyard, which is less than 5 minutes from our house. They have Red, White, and Blue wine slushies for the adults, and they have popsicles for the kids. We discovered it the year that Jack was born, and we took our sleeping baby in his carrier, and now we look forward to it every year.
- The EveryGirl List. I discovered this list back in May when The EveryGirl promoted it on their Instagram, and I’ve been loving it. Essentially it’s a list of 50 things you can do to boost your happiness or to give yourself a little extra self care. It has some really great reminders and tips, and I’ve loved revisiting it and adding some of these things into my routines.
Looking forward to the rest of July, things are looking pretty busy. And yes, your girl loves a busy calendar. But for now, I’m thankful and happy for the quiet.